Netflix is accused of ‘faking’ the ‘fiction warning’ for The Crown
Netflix is accused of ‘faking’ after it’s revealed the streaming giant will finally tell viewers of The Crown it’s a fictional drama – but will NOT put a warning at the start of each episode
Netflix is finally ready to warn viewers of The Crown that the series is a fictional drama – but still refuses to put the warning at the start of each episode.
Instead, the US streaming giant plans to place a “fiction disclaimer” on the homepage where viewers click to play episodes, which reviewers last night called a fudge.
Netflix is under increasing pressure to introduce a disclaimer for The Crown amid furor over its fake stories based on the Royals.
The Mail on Sunday previously revealed fury at former Prime Minister John Major, who called the big-budget drama ‘malicious nonsense’ over fake scenes from the latest series in which Prince Charles plots to force his mother the queen to abdicate the throne. Friends of King Charles III called for a boycott of the scenes.
Sir Tony Blair also revealed his anger at the show yesterday, with a spokesperson calling The Crown “complete and utter rubbish” because of its false storylines.
Netflix has resisted calls for an episode disclaimer, but recently included one on a trailer for the latest series, which is released on Wednesday.
Netflix is under increasing pressure to introduce a disclaimer for The Crown amid fury over its fake Royals-based storylines
Netflix will post a notice stating that The Crown is a “fictional dramatization based on true events”, but the disclaimer will be buried on The Crown’s homepage rather than stated at the beginning or end of the episode as the show’s reviews demand it.
Last night it emerged that Netflix will release a notice stating that The Crown is a “fictional drama based on true events”.
But the disclaimer will be buried on The Crown’s homepage rather than at the start or end of the episode as the show’s reviews demand.
Royal expert Thomas Blaikie said: “Netflix is trying to have its cake and eat it too. If he finally has to put a disclaimer, it should be at the start of every episode. As it gets closer to the present day, it becomes more concerning when the series drastically deviates from what actually happened.
David Mellor, a Cabinet minister under Major, said: “The reality is that Netflix doesn’t want people to think it’s a total fabrication.” They want people to watch it on the basis that there’s a lot of truth to the story, so anything that draws the viewer’s attention to the fact that it’s a bunch of lies isn’t is not in his own interest.
“By putting a hidden disclaimer on the Netflix page, they can claim they’re clear to people that it’s fictional when in reality they’re not clear at all.”
Royal biographer Sally Bedell Smith said: ‘They should put a big disclaimer up front in black and white that this is a fictional drama. To do anything other than that is totally hypocritical.
The Mail on Sunday previously revealed fury at former Prime Minister John Major (centre) who called the big-budget drama ‘malicious nonsense’ over fake scenes from the latest series in which the Prince Charles (right) plots to force his mother the Queen to abdicate the throne. Sir Tony Blair (left) also revealed his anger at yesterday’s show
Palace insiders have disputed claims that King Charles gave his blessing to actor Dominic West (pictured), who plays a young Prince Charles in The Crown’s new series
Meanwhile, palace insiders have disputed claims that King Charles gave his blessing to actor Dominic West, who plays a young Prince Charles in The Crown’s new series.
West told the Radio Times that after landing the role with the Netflix program he wrote to the palace offering to step down as a charity ambassador for The Prince’s Trust. West claimed to have received a response stating, “You do what you love, you’re an actor.” It has nothing to do with us.
However, palace insiders said “recollections may vary”. They said the actor did indeed write to the king’s office and received a letter from a senior aide.
But they said the response offered no indication that the King approved of West’s decision to take on the role.
A palace source said: ‘By relaying this private correspondence anecdote, it is implied that Her Majesty’s office gave tacit consent or condoned the program in some way.’ This is not the case.’
Buckingham Palace and the Prince’s Trust declined to comment.